What Matters Most

Trying to figure out what matters most in life? Me too!

Friday, May 28, 2004

Nature

So I'm out here at Stanford Sierra Camp on the shores of Falling Leaf Lake. Lotsa trees. Big rocks. Thin air - around 8000 feet or so - so a short flight of steps is more difficult than it should be.

Me? I'm blogging in the business center. I even spent a few minutes upgrading their IE to the latest version.

Some people are more connected to Nature than I am. Some people spend their entire lives in Nature, or working on behalf of Nature. I feel vaguely guilty about my lack of regular connection to Nature. Which is not to say I don't feel connected - I do - but just not at the level of some people.

Is this important? Should I look for more ways to get grounded? To feel grass under my bare feet? To put my hands in dirt? Watch birds?

Regardless of the fact that I am blogging when I could be hiking, I feel deeply connected to the natural universe. The keen interest I had as a child - when astronomy, ornithology, botany, paleontology, geology, and other ologies loudly called my name - that interest remains. I just have to reach for it. Name it. Remember it.

The memory comes with some regret - I am past the age of becoming an astronaut or a botanist - but at the same time, I feel okay about it. I have a suspicion that I will still learn about the natural universe, and also enjoy it on its own terms, without a rigorous academic structure, just strolling back to my room at Fallen Leaf Lake.

That's okay, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home