What Matters Most

Trying to figure out what matters most in life? Me too!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The fuss about Inception

I’ve been looking forward to saying this for a long time: I saw Inception. It was my first movie-date with Michelle,and it went very well. I discovered that she has no irritating movie-house habits. She doesn’t talk during the movie, either to me or to the screen. She doesn’t chew her ice. After the film, we had an intelligent and engaged discussion about it.What more could a movie-lover ask?

Meanwhile, about the movie. It’s good. Of course it’s good, because it’s from Christopher Nolan, and he hasn’t made a bad film. I suppose he will, eventually, make a dull film. Also, let’s admit that Insomnia was not a wonderfully cut and highly polished gem. But so far, his track record is splendid.

Nolan is a writer/director I (sort of) met in 1998 at the SFIFF, when he showed Following, his first feature film. He was a boyish 27 at the time, and he’s a boyish 40 now. I admire the fact that he works with his wife, Emma Thomas, producing his films.

I distinctly remember thinking, “This is a guy to watch.” You know how you know that kind of thing? Well, you know, then.
Oh, right – the fuss about Inception. It’s a crazy, convoluted, messy plot that will sustain little logical scrutiny. The film is dramatically strong, and the cast is terrific. I never really worried about the labyrinthine plot. I sat back and enjoyed. No fuss, just fun.

It will be more fun to see Chris Nolan going further, and eventually doing something that will top Memento in terms of deserved fuss. I really look forward to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home